Taking action gives you the courage to leap. So do it afraid. ~Dr. Nadia Brown
One of the common topics that came up at the Take the Leap™ 2016 event was courage. A common question often sounded like, “Do I really have the courage to pursue my dreams?”
My answer to that question is a resounding YES!
According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, courage is defined as “the ability to do something that frightens one.”
Oftentimes our big dreams scare the bejeezus out of us. There are many questions floating through our mind. Questions such as:
Can I really do this?
How do I get from here to there?
What if I fail?
Will this really work?
What was I thinking?!
Here’s the thing about pursuing your big dream, fear WILL show up. It’s not a matter of if, it’s just a matter of when.
It may be tempting to attempt to wait for the fear to pass before taking action, but that’s not how this works.
Action eradicates fear.
Taking action, even baby steps help to build your courage and eliminate the fear. Don’t allow fear to keep you paralyzed. Move forward.
Here a few ways to build your courage:
- Get clear on your vision. Clarity is powerful in and of itself. When we don’t know where we are going, it clouds not only our vision, but our judgement. AND it’s exhausting! Take time to get clear on your vision so that you can outline clear action steps.
- Identify the next step. That’s right. Just one step. Ask yourself, what’s the next best step? Then do it.
- Find your group of “crazy”. The truth is, we can’t build our dreams alone. We can only get so far by ourselves. Find that group of people who believe in you and will cheer for your success even in those moments when you want to give up.
- Give yourself space and grace to make mistakes. Newsflash… you will make mistakes. It’s a natural part of the process. Don’t waste time beating yourself up. Learn from it and keep moving.
- Don’t quit. The only way you fail is if you quit, so keep going!
The above tips are a great way to get you in action toward reaching your goals. If you are interested in more support, I recently opened the doors to my new TANDEM program. You don’t have to leap alone! Visit www.MeetWithDrNadia.com to schedule time to chat and learn more details.