A dream without a plan is just a wish. ~Katherine Paterson
Helloooooo 2017! I don’t know about you, but 2016 was a year that had its share of ups and downs. There were days when I was tempted to think there were more downs than ups, but that simply isn’t true.
I love the new year. It feels like we all get a blank page and we get the chance to write a new story. However, oftentimes I have found that in my rush to map out all I desire to accomplish in the new year, I often never take the time to acknowledge all that I accomplished in the previous year.
While I am looking forward to this new year, I have often found that one of the reasons we lose our motivation towards achieving our goals is because we have an unrealistic view of how far we’ve come in comparison to how much further we have to go.
So before I go any further, I’d like to share just a few of the things that I accomplished in 2016.
- Visited Haiti for the first time and had a second visit to the Bahamas (just gorgeous)
- Celebrated my 40th birthday
- Ended a business relationship that was no longer healthy for me
- Hosted my first Take the Leap™ event (in another state no less)
- Celebrated 8 years of marriage to my amazing hubby Toby
- Started leading a networking group for women business owners
- Launched my new Tandem program so that aspiring business owners won’t have to leap alone
Now that I’ve gone first, here are six simple steps to help you get this year kicked off just right.
- Give yourself some credit. Take a moment to acknowledge all you’ve accomplished and how far you’ve come. Oftentimes it is so easy for us to just move right on to the next item on our to do lists or plan for the next big project instead of just taking a moment to acknowledge how far we’ve come. Even if you aren’t where you want to be, at least you aren’t where you used to be.
- Complete an “I am where I am” assessment. This is an assessment of where you are at this very moment in your life. It could be financial, career, number of business clients, weight, etc. You take a moment to assess where you are today. No more sticking your head in the sand. Now you are armed with valuable information to help you move forward to your big vision. Quick note: There is no judgment and no guilt during this assessment. Just stick to the facts.
- Dream a little. There’s a reason why vision board parties are all the rage. If you don’t know where you are going, how will you know when you get there? Plus, studies show that after a certain age, many adults stop dreaming. Can you believe that? We become so grown up, serious, and logical that we stop dreaming and we stop believing in the impossible. Remember, dreams really can come true, but you first need to have one. Take time to write your dream/vision in a journal or create a dream board or dream book. Have a little fun, will ya? #StopAdulting
- Map out your plan. Begin to identify the steps you need to take in order to reach your goal. Write them down. Also, take a moment to identify any additional resources you may need in order to accomplish those steps. Then start to put dates beside them.
- Take action. Once you have your action plan together, it’s time to get busy. Remember, you don’t have to get it all finished right now, just take the first step. I know we love quantum leaps, but slow and steady works too. #BabyStepsCountToo
- Be accountable. Find an accountability partner. This is key to your success. All too often we let ourselves off the hook when the going gets tough. We all need a little help remaining focused so we can achieve our big goals. There’s a reason why top athletes have a coach. You may not have to hire a coach, but find someone who will hold your feet to the fire and won’t care one bit about you having an attitude.
2017 is poised to be your best year ever and if you want this year to truly produce a new you then you’ll have to start doing things differently. Plus you just have to take, not just any actions, but the right actions to get you there. If you would like some help mapping out your strategic plan, I have a few January Jumpstart Sessions available. Visit www.MeetWithDrNadia.com to schedule a time to meet and see if one of those sessions is right for you. Happy New Year!
Dr. Nadia Brown is an authentic, bold champion for women business owners and those women who desire to become business owners. She is the founder of Doyenne Leadership Institute, LLC.
Through her workshops, intensives, and retreats she helps women break through the glass ceilings they encounter in business by helping them build profitable and sustainable businesses. When it comes to sales, women come to her timid and shaky about going after the money – they leave her strategic, strong, emboldened and most importantly, paid.
She is the author of Leading Like a Lady: How to Shatter Your Inner Glass Ceiling and lives with her husband Toby in Phoenix, AZ. Find out about upcoming events at www.doyenneleadership.com/events.